Thursday, December 15, 2016

"Under a night sky"

I'm a country girl at heart.  When the fast pace of life gets too much, we love getting away camping. One of our favorite spots is a hour from a place called Mitchell, in Queensland, Australia.   Out in the middle of nowhere.  In our spot the phones don't work, no TV, just the vast open spaces of our amazing country.  Some may think that this is a backwards and limited activity, but this is where I long to be when I need to recharge the batteries.  One of the most enjoyable parts of our trips is looking up into the night skies.  The light pollution in our cities/towns limits what you can see at night, but here the nights are an amazing show of glittering stars.  

Due to flooding this year I haven't been able to visit this magical spot, so instead I've painted the night skies as I remember.  

I was so pleased with the why the night sky came to life.  I painted the canvas with black acrylic. With a sponge I dabbed on a mix of blue, green, purple and a highlight of white to make the back ground.  With a toothbrush I splatted white paint to create the stars in the sky.  When dry I painted the silhouette of the gum trees.  Simple but very effective I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment